Medical Assistant is a unique, four-year program of study designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of the Bible and theology and medical assisting knowledge, skills, and dispositions. Medical Assistant coursework is offered through a cooperative agreement with the Northeast Iowa Community College. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the national credentialing exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA).
In addition to meeting the Bible/Theology major outcomes, the student will meet the outcomes established by Northeast Iowa Community College for the Medical Assistant program. See the NICC website at www.nicc.edu for up-to-date program requirements and outcomes.
- Meet all admission requirements of Emmaus Bible College.
- Complete application for admission to Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Declare intent to pursue the Medical Assistant program.
- Meet all Medical Assistant program admission requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- At the beginning of the sophomore year, apply for entrance into the Bible/Theology program.
- Pay all applicable fees for this major as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
- Complete a minimum of 120 semester credit hours.
- A 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a passing grade in all required courses.
- At least 36 semester credit hours must be earned at Emmaus.
- At least 24 semester credit hours must be earned at Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Complete all program and graduation requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation (BT 120)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Biblical Hermeneutics (BT 220)
- Praxis of Interpretation (BT 320)
- Biblical and Practical Theology of Transformation (BT 352)
- God, Creation, and Sin (BT 221)
- Christ, Holy Spirit, and Salvation (BT 321)
- Church and Final Things (BT 331)
- Bible/Theology Electives (6 credits)
- Servant Leader Training Seminar (CCS 115)
- Servant Leader Training (CCS 120)
- Chapel (CCS 110)
- Missions and Evangelism* (ICS 104)
*meets Bible-Related requirement
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology and Lab (BIO:158/160)
- Basic Medical Insurance and Coding (HIT:210)
- Medical Terminology (HSC:114)
- Medical Office Management I (MAP:111)
- Clinical Procedures 1 (MAP:353)
- Clinical Procedures II (MAP:358)
- Medical Law and Ethics (MAP:401)
- Human Relations (MAP:431)
- Math for Medications (MAP:501)
- Medical Assisting Pharmacology (MAP:512)
- Human Body: Health and Disease (MAP:532)
- Medical Assistant Practicum (MAP:622)
Courses at Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Fundamentals of Speech (COM 112)
- Fundamental Computer Literacy (CS 101)
- English Composition (ENG 101)
- Introduction to Literature (ENG 102)
- Transitions Seminar (FND 101)
- Western Civilization 1 or 2 (HIS 131/132) or American History 1 or 2 (HIS 235/236)
- Christian Life and Worldview* (HUM 111)
- College Mathematics (MAT 140)
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY 111)
- Introduction to Human Biology and Lab (SCI 241/242)
- Humanities Elective (3 credits)
- General Studies Electives (6 credits)
*meets Bible-Related requirement