Cross-Cultural Nursing Major
Cross-Cultural Nursing is a unique, four-year program of study designed to provide students with a thorough understanding of the Bible and theology, understanding of cross-cultural adjustment and communication, and professional nursing skills. The goal of the program is to equip graduates to effectively serve the physical and spiritual needs of patients and their families in cross-cultural contexts. Nursing coursework is offered through a cooperative agreement with the Northeast Iowa Community College. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to write the national licensure exam (NCLEX) to become a licensed practical nurse (LPN).
Degrees: Bachelor of Science (Emmaus Bible College), Diploma (Northeast Iowa Community College)
Majors: Bible/Theology, Cross-Cultural Nursing
Program Coordinator: Dr. Lisa L. Beatty
Program Learning Outcomes
In addition to meeting the Bible/Theology major outcomes and those listed below, the student will meet the outcomes established by Northeast Iowa Community College for the LPN Diploma program. See the NICC website at www.nicc.edu for up-to-date Nursing program requirements and outcomes.
The student will:
- Cross-cultural Adjustment: Students will demonstrate the ability to adjust successfully to a foreign culture by: overcoming culture shock, making measurable progress in language-learning, bonding with foreign nationals, and adjusting to life and ministry abroad.
- Cross-cultural Communication: Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate the Gospel cross-culturally by: understanding cultural and religious contexts, performing ethnographic cultural research, synthesizing ethnographic research into a worldview, evangelizing and discipling cross-culturally, and producing a contextualized Gospel message.
- Meet all admission requirements of Emmaus Bible College.
- Complete application for admission to Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Declare intent to pursue the cooperative program in Cross-Cultural Nursing.
- Meet all nursing program admission requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Nurse Aide/CNA licensure must be completed prior to Nursing Concepts.
- Nursing candidates must also achieve a score of 80 on the math and reading comprehension areas of the HESI A2 exam prior to nursing program admission (clinical coursework).
- At the beginning of the sophomore year, apply for entrance into the Bible/Theology program.
- Pay all applicable fees for this major as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
- Complete a minimum of 122.75 semester credit hours.
- A 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a passing grade in all required courses.
- At least 40 semester credit hours must be earned at Emmaus.
- At least 20 semester credit hours must be earned at Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Complete all graduation and LPN Nursing program requirements of Northeast Iowa Community College.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible and Theology (33 credits)
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Christian Life and Worldview (BT 111)
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation (BT 120)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Biblical Hermeneutics (BT 220)
- Theology: God, Creation, and Sin (BT 221)
- Theology: Christ, Holy Spirit, and Salvation (BT 321)
- Theology: The Church and Final Things (BT 331)
- Bible Book Study Elective
- Chapel (CCS 110)
- Educational Ministries (3 credits)
- Teaching Bible* (EM 321) or Homiletics 1* (BT 322)
- Intercultural Studies (12 credits)
- Missions and Evangelism 1* (ICS 104)
- Cross-Cultural Adjustment (ICS 212)
- Cross-Cultural Communication (ICS 310)
- Cross-Cultural Leadership (ICS 441)
- Short-term Medical Mission
- Nursing (25.75 credits)
- Introduction to Nutrition (PNN:270)
- Dosage Calculations (PNN:200)
- Pharmacology Medications (PNN:204)
- Introduction to Nursing Concepts (PNN:183)
- Introduction to Nursing Care of Adults I (PNN:179)
- Introduction to Nursing Care of Adults II (PNN:191)
- Introduction to Maternal Child Health (PNN:242)
- Application of the Practical Nurse Role (PNN:246)
- General Studies (37 credits)
- Human Anatomy/Physiology I/Lab (BIO:168)
- Human Anatomy/Physiology II/ Lab (BIO:173)
- Servant Leader Training (CCS 120)
- Fundamentals of Speech (COM 112)
- Fundamental Computer Literacy (CS 101)
- English Composition (ENG 101)
- Introduction to Literature (ENG 102)
- Transitions Seminar (FND 101)
- Senior Seminar (FND 410)
- Western Civilization (HIS 131/132) or American History 1 (HIS 235)
- College Mathematics (MAT 140)
- Developmental Psychology (PSY 211)
- World Religions (REL 308)
- Cultural Anthropology (SOC 314)
- Electives (12 credits)
- Bible and Theology (33 credits)
*meets Bible-Related requirement
Italics – Courses at Northeast Iowa Community College. See course descriptions at www.nicc.edu.