Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
The certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a program of study designed to equip students to teach English to non-native speakers at all levels of ability, either in the U.S. or abroad. Coursework for the certificate may be used to fulfill elective requirements in other certificate or degree programs. Students must complete the Certificate in Biblical Studies (or any of our 2-4 year programs) in order to receive the Certificate in TESOL.
The student will:
- Learn the basics of linguistics as a foundation for teaching the English language.
- Gain exposure to a number of different approaches to TESOL.
- Become familiar with the variety of factors which affect both teachers and learners in the English-learning experience.
- Develop an awareness of how English teaching and Christian ministry can interface without compromising either one.
- Gain knowledge of and practice in teaching all facets of the English language.
- Be exposed to and use a wide range of TESOL resources and learn where to access additional resources.
- Prerequisite: English Composition (ENG 101)
- Linguistics and English Phonetics (ESL 205)
- Introduction to TESOL (ESL 210)
- English Language Skills 1 (ESL 304)
- English Language Skills 2 (ESL 422)