TESOL Continuing Ed Certificate
The Continuing Education Certificate in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a program of study designed to provide the college graduate or career-interruption student the opportunity to gain foundational knowledge of the Bible and the skills to teach English to non-English speakers. Courses are selected according to student interest and background in consultation with the Intercultural Studies department chair.
Award: Continuing Education Certificate
Emphasis: Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages (TESOL)
Program Director: Yi Young Yuk
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will:
- Evidence a basic knowledge of biblical content and Christian Theology.
- Evidence a commitment to growth in Christian character and lifestyle.
- Learn the basics of linguistics as a foundation for teaching the English language.
- Gain exposure to a number of different approaches to TESOL.
- Develop an awareness of how English teaching and Christian ministry can interface without compromising either one.
- Be exposed to and use a wide range of TESOL resources and learn where to access additional resources.
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours.
- Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and receive a passing grade in all required courses.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Pay all applicable fees for this program as determined by the Business office and published in the annual statement of fees.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible/Theology (15 credits)
- Old Testament Survey 1 (BT 102)
- Old Testament Survey 2 (BT 104)
- New Testament Survey (BT 106)
- Christian Life and Worldview (BT 111)
- Survey of Doctrine (BT 151)
- Chapel (CCS 110)
- TESOL (12 credits)
- Linguistics and English Phonetics (ESL 205)
- Introduction to TESOL (ESL 210)
- TESOL Methods 1 (ESL 304)
- TESOL Methods 2 (ESL 422)
- Intercultural Studies (3 credits)
- ICS Elective
- General Studies
- Servant Leader Training (CCS 120) 2 units
30 credit hours