The Continuing Education Certificate in Elementary Education is a program of study designed to provide the college graduate or career-interruption student the opportunity to obtain an initial teaching license from the state of Iowa or certification from ACSI. In addition to fulfilling the requirements for the certificate, teacher candidates seeking recommendation for an initial teaching license from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners must complete all program completion and state licensure requirements. Teacher candidates seeking initial certification from ACSI must complete all requirements for the different levels of certification. It is recommended that teacher candidates apprise themselves of program admission, progression, and completion policies, procedures, and deadlines to ensure completion of all program requirements in a timely manner.
Award: Continuing Education Certificate
Emphasis: Elementary Education
Program Director: Susan M. Henderson
- Complete a minimum of 89 total credit hours.
- A minimum of 60 credit hours must be earned from Emmaus.
- All credit hours in some professional core courses, in all methods courses, and in student teaching must be earned from Emmaus because licensure competencies are assessed in these courses.
- Achieve a 2.0 minimum grade point in most professional studies courses and a 3.0 minimum grade point in a few competency-based professional studies courses in the elementary education program.
- Achieve a 2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average.
- Complete the general graduation requirements listed in the Academic Life section of the catalog.
- Meet course requirements in the following areas:
- Bible/Theology (12 credits)
- Chapel (CCS 110)
- Bible/Theology Electives
- General Studies (23 credits)
- Servant Leader Training (CCS 120) 4 units
- Human Relations and Communication for Educators (COM 312)
- Educational Technology (CS 240)
- Number, Operations and Algebraic Thinking in Elementary School (MAT 270)
- Spatial Math and Data Representation in Elementary School (MAT 370)
- Child Development (PSY 254)
- Introduction to Earth Science and Lab SCI 230/231)
- Introduction to Human Biology and Lab (SCI 241/242
- Professional Studies in Elementary Education (54 credits)
- Introduction to Education (ED 106)
- Field Studies (ED 194)
- Children’s Literature (ED 203)
- Teaching Visual Arts (ED 207)
- Field Studies (ED 294)
- Introduction to Exceptionalities (ED 231)
- Field Studies (ED 295)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in K-8 Reading (ED 301)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in K-8 Language Arts (ED 305)
- Teaching Performing Arts (ED 307)
- Field Studies (ED 394)
- Instructional Design (ED 330)
- Instructional Adaptations (ED 331)
- Educational Psychology (ED 351)
- Teaching Physical Education/Wellness (ED 381)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in K-6 Mathematics (ED 375)
- Practicum 1 (ED 395)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in K-6 Science (ED 428)
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in K-8 Social Studies & Content Area Literacy Strategies (ED 435)
- Principles of Management and Assessment (ED 470)
- Diagnostic Teaching of Reading (ED 485)
- Practicum 2 (ED 495)
- Student Teaching (ED 497)
- Student Teaching Seminar (ED 499)
In addition to fulfilling the requirements for the continuing education certificate, teacher candidates must fulfill all program completion and licensure requirements (cf. the TEP program policies) to be recommended to the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE) for teaching endorsements sought.