Minor in Certified Financial Planning
The minor in Certified Financial Planning is a plan of study offered in partnership with the LCMC/Rize Consortium. The program prepares students for a career as a Financial Planner or Advisor as described below. Financial Advisors and Planners are accredited by the CFP Board | Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., which ensures that advisors and planners meet strict educational, professional and ethical requirements. While accreditation under the CFP Board is not always required to work as a Financial Advisor or Planner, it vastly improves professional opportunities for those holding the certification, either by itself or along with other certifications, such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). The minor in Certified Financial Planning may be completed as part of any bachelor degree offering at Emmaus.
Students who complete a bachelor’s degree, in addition to the seven-course sequence described below, will successfully fulfill the CFP Board’s education requirement and be prepared to sit for the CFP Exam. In order to meet CFP board standards, all seven CFP program classes must be completed through the LCMC’s shared CFP program.
In order to become a Certified Financial Planner, students must complete four key requirements:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree
- Complete a seven-course sequence from a CFP Board registered program
- Complete a 170 question, 6-hour multiple-choice exam offered in March, July and November
- Complete 6,000 hours of professional experience relating to financial planning, or complete 4,000 hours of an apprenticeship. This experience must be completed within five years of sitting for the exam. See details here.
- Complete the ethics declaration forms and pass a background check
All courses in the minor are offered fully online through the LCMC/Rize Consortium:
- General Principles of Financial Planning (CFP 301)
- Risk Management and Insurance Planning (CFP 302)
- Investment Planning (CFP 303)
- Tax Planning (CFP 304)
- Retirement Savings and Income Planning (CFP 305)
- Estate Planning (CFP 306)
- Capstone Course in Financial Planning (CFP 307)
The minor in Certified Financial Planning may be completed as part of any bachelor degree offering at Emmaus. Please see the sample planner at the bottom of this page that integrates the minor in CFP with the business administration major.