Minor in Music Ministry
The minor in Music Ministry is a program of study designed to equip the student for effective music ministry. Coursework for the minor can be used to fulfill some elective requirements in a major area of study.
The student will:
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of music theory.
- Evidence continued growth in musical performance skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of the biblical foundations for and historical practices of the use of music in the church and integrate this knowledge into a biblical philosophy of music.
- Demonstrate the skills required to lead a music ministry including musical set design, administration, management, and rehearsal.
- Music Fundamentals (MUS 101) or demonstrated proficiency
- Harmonic Practices (MUS 110)*
- Musicianship (MUS 111)**
- Ensemble Lab (MUS 230)**
- Music in the Church (MUS 250)
- Methods of Music Ministry (MUS 256)**
- Biblical Theology of Worship (BT 360)
- Private Lessons (3 semesters; two semesters on primary instrument; one on secondary instrument)
- Chapel Praise Team (MUS 130) (2 semesters)
- Internship (MUS 330)***
- Seminar on Leading (MUS 340)
*Pre-req: C on proficiency exam or in Music Fundamentals
**Pre-req: Harmonic Practices (or concurrent enrollment)
***To be fulfilled after or concurrent with all coursework for the minor