The certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a program of study designed to equip students to teach English to non-native speakers at all levels of ability, either in the U.S. or abroad. Coursework for the certificate may be used to fulfill elective requirements in other certificate or degree programs. Students must complete the Certificate in Biblical Studies in order to receive the Certificate in TESOL.
Program Director: Mrs. Micheline Witter
The student will:
- Learn the basics of linguistics as a foundation for teaching the English language.
- Gain exposure to a number of different approaches to TESOL.
- Become familiar with the variety of factors which affect both teachers and learners in the English-learning experience.
- Develop an awareness of how English teaching and Christian ministry can interface without compromising either one.
- Gain knowledge of and practice in teaching all facets of the English language.
- Be exposed to and use a wide range of TESOL resources and learn where to access additional resources.
Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Requirements:
- Linguistics and English Phonetics (ESL 205)
- Introduction to TESOL (ESL 210)
- TESOL Methods 1 (ESL 304)
- TESOL Methods 2 (ESL 422)
12 credit hours
English Composition (ENG 101)