The minor in Music Ministry is a program of study designed to equip the student for effective music ministry. Coursework for the minor can be used to fulfill some elective requirements in a major area of study.
Program Director: Elisa C. Cooper
The student will:
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of music theory.
- Evidence continued growth in musical performance skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of the biblical foundations for and historical practices of the use of music in the church and integrate this knowledge into a biblical philosophy of music.
- Demonstrate the skills required to lead a music ministry including musical set design, administration, management, and rehearsal.
Music Ministry Minor Requirements
- MUS 101 Music Fundamentals or demonstrated proficiency
- MUS 110 Harmonic Practices*
- MUS 111 Musicianship**
- MUS 230 Ensemble Lab**
- MUS 250 Music in the Church
- MUS 256 Methods of Music Ministry**
- BT 360 Biblical Theology of Worship
- Private Lessons (3 semesters; two semesters on primary instrument; one on secondary instrument)
- MUS 130 Chapel Praise Team (2 semesters)
- MUS 330 Internship***
- MUS 340 Seminar on Leading
18-20 credit hours
*Pre-req: C on proficiency exam or in Music Fundamentals
**Pre-req: Harmonic Practices (or concurrent enrollment)
***To be fulfilled after or concurrent with all coursework for the minor